25 September 2010

Ghost Crawler at MMO

Although I generally do not get very serious or informative about technical game issues, dps standards or cookie cutter specs, I did read some very interesting posts by Ghost Crawler over at MMO this morning which I felt worthy of attention here.


Being a strong member of that 90% average player base, I found GC's posts to be both unique and informative from several standpoints. Perhaps the most noticeable one is that the read was class agnostic, often difficult especially when discussing the talent trees. Other interesting notes about his posts include his comments towards cookie-cutter builds...

"I have deviated from these sacred builds often on my own characters because I found that I don't rely on certain abilities or mechanics as much as the build assumes I should. Now maybe my dps (healing, etc.) would improve if I could manage to do that, but in the interim using a build that is bad for me just because it's the anointed one doesn't make sense. A- dps with the "bad" build is superior to C+ dps with the "good" build."

and dps maxing:

"Min-maxxing is fun. It's part of the game. Sometimes (more rarely than is claimed) it's even necessary for progression. Just keep it in perspective. It's probably not going to doom your attempt if you pick up a fun talent instead of a 1% dps increase. If the Saturday pug won't take you because you lack the anointed talent, you're probably better off not running with them."

All said and done, the post is worth the time to read.

No comments:

Post a Comment